Monday, July 22, 2013

Life's Questions


Hannah Riess
Mrs. Wagener
English 11 AP
22, July 2013
Life’s Questions
            Millions of years ago, two questions were introduced that have been causing great bewilderment and marvel ever since. The questions, “Who are you?” and “Where does the world come from?” are questions that we all ponder on and wish we could answer. It is natural for humans to want to understand the questions of life. Both philosophers and scientists have been striving to answer the question of where the world originates from and they have come up with many theories. In addition, religious beliefs can also answer the question. However, only one person can truly answer the question, “Who are you?” and that person is yourself.
            My name is Hannah Leigh Riess. I was born on December 2nd, 1996 into a great, loving family. This upcoming year, I will be a junior at North High School. At North, I play on the soccer team and I am involved in other activities such as student council and link crew. My favorite things to do in my free time include hanging out with my friends and family, watching movies, and taking pictures. When I am older, I want to travel the world and experience the different cultures around us. I am someone who wants nothing more than to live a full, satisfying life. Prior to reading Sophie’s World, I had never given much thought as to who I was. Now, I have a better understanding of who I am and where I want to be in the future.
            “Where does the world come from?” This question has been asked for billions of years. According to science, the universe was created by a “bang” in space that occurred billions of years ago. Known as the Big Bang Theory, scientists have used this “bang” to explain how the world did have a beginning, and how it happened. In contrast, there is another theory that has a base in religion. My personal belief is that God created the universe and everything in it. In Sophie’s World, Sophie states that it is hard to believe that God created himself out of nothing. From what I have learned, I strongly believe that God has always been in the world and that he did, indeed, create the universe. Despite the different ideas on where the world comes from, science and religion compliment each other and everyone interprets things in their own way and has the right to their own beliefs.
            One thing is definite; everyone should work to find answers to these life questions. Finding an answer to these questions gives you a better understanding of who are and where you belong among the billions of other people around us. Not everyone has the same characteristics, likes, beliefs, and opinions, but that is what makes the world such a unique place. All in all, the universe is an unbelievable place and we are all so lucky to be apart of this phenomenon even if we do not all have the same opinion on how this breathtaking world came to be.
           
            

1 comment:

  1. "Despite the different ideas on where the world comes from, science and religion compliment each other and everyone interprets things in their own way and has the right to their own beliefs." It makes me happy that you recognize this in your response. It shows an outstanding amount of tolerance. 20/20

    ReplyDelete