Hannah Riess
Mrs. Wagener
English 11 AP
11, August 2013
Through
Different Eyes
Everyone
sees the world around us through a different set of eyes. No two people have
been faced with the same experiences in life or have the same perspectives and
beliefs on certain issues and subjects. However, people can be easily swayed to
look at things in a different way when a factor of their senses changes. In the
“Kant” chapter of Sophie’s World,
Alberto places a pair of red tinted glasses on Sophie and forces her to view
the world from a new perspective. This experiment, incomplex yet brilliant, expresses
that most opinions should be seen as logical because there are a countless
number of perspectives on every situation.
The
red tinted glasses experiment demonstrates how we cannot solely rely on what we
see because what we see or hear through our senses is not always truthful. Although
the world around Sophie is red when she puts the lenses on, everything returns
to its natural color when she takes them off. The tinted glasses symbolize the
different perspectives and beliefs people have. Just because one person’s views
on the world, situation, or person are different, does not mean they are
incorrect because in reality, we do not unquestionably know what is right or
wrong. In my opinion, I do not think that we can have a definite answer to
anything in life because the way we perceive everything in the world is based
on our experiences and no two people in the world have experienced the same
things. Even though it is challenging to recognize your beliefs as being
incorrect, the opinions of others should always be considered because nobody
has the right to judge them to be correct or incorrect.
In
my own experiences, I have often been deceived by what I have perceived with my
senses. As a teenager in high school, you often hear rumors and bad things
about other people. I have learned that you cannot always go by what you hear.
I know now that I should use my reason and get to know the person before I go
on making any judgments about someone’s character. Just like I will not know a
person’s character before I get to know them, I will not know the true
characteristics of the world because everyone sees the world through their own
set of eyes.
Overall,
the “Kant” chapter has impacted me the most. I believe it is vital to recognize
everyone has the right to their own perspectives and to recognize everyone
perceives things in a different way. Even through our senses and reason, we
will never know definite answers about anything in the world. The different
opinions are what make our world the unique place it is today. In a way, we all
have our own set of “red tinted glasses”.
"I have learned that you cannot always go by what you hear. I know now that I should use my reason and get to know the person before I go on making any judgments about someone’s character." I liked the point that you made here when comparing how Kant's view on perspective can fit into your personal life. Sometime others will spread incorrect/distorted "gossip" about another person, which doesn't give you a whole lot of evidence to go on about how you should judge that person according to your standards. Good response! 20/20
ReplyDelete